Blog directory

Friday, May 23, 2008

Final week, and it's killing me!

One more week.

I'm dying here, folks, I really am. This week is going to feel as long as the prior 5 or so months unless I keep myself busy!

I'll admit, I have totally slacked off lately. However, I think I have the reason pinned down.

As I mentioned in my last post, I used to train for Triathlons, but the solitary nature of the training just wasn't my bag anymore.



Helloooo???



I'm training in solitude again!!! Geez, no wonder I'm going ape-shit.

I'm grateful for the long weekend and shortened work week. I'm finally getting a handle on some new responsibilities at work, and not stressing out nearly as much.

I plan to attend the evening class Friday, normally for beginning adults. At this time of year, however, it's sparsely attended if at all. I thought it'd be good to go for a gentle test drive during a quieter class. One of the younger students has been keeping tabs on me and is pledged to be at that class when I return.

I ran into one of our black belts at the store late Monday night (adult sparring night), and he shared how 'intense' sparring has gotten. They're even trying tag-team matches! Depending on my surgeon's opinion, I think I'll take the same tack that Bobspar did, and work sparring strictly on an upper-body basis until I've worked the knee a while in core classes.

My ultimate goal? To finish a sparring class injury-free. See, I've only ever made it to two classes; The first one, I rolled my ankle, aggravating an existing sprain that wasn't properly braced. The second one, I popped my ACL.

Besides running up to 4 miles, jumping rope, and doing some nutso hopping exercises, I have been doing moderate karate, primarily forms and my favorite slow-count kicks. There's a summer goals program that I look forward to, since it involves committing to and documenting additional aerobic exercise outside of class, push-ups and sit-ups. This much I can handle in solitude, given regular core classes to work out 'socially.'

I'm not going to go crazy when I'm back to karate, really I'm not.

But I am willing to learn how...

4 comments:

Bob M said...

I know it's agony waiting, but you're going to be so happy when you get back on the mat. I'm sure you'll also be nervous about your knee. I'm glad you're going to take it easy on your return. You're doing so much off the mat in terms of exercise and knee-building, I'm sure it will be fine. Heck, your knee may be better now than it was before. Still, it's good to ease back into it.

I can also empathize with your dislike of solitary workouts. That's one of the best things about martial arts, having friends working out with you.

Good luck, let us all know how it goes!

Blackbeltmama said...

For a while there, I was feeling like you. Now, not so much. The truth is that I'm really afraid to go back, afraid it will happen again and I know I need to take my time mentally. I wish you a lot of luck and look forward to hearing about how it goes.

Michele said...

You can do it! Just a few more days!

I think that you are approaching your return in the right way. You have physically prepared your knee/leg for karate again. When you start classes it will be important to listen to your knee. I waited until 8 months until I started sparring (hands and feet) again.

Good luck and keep posting!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got the right idea about getting back into it. Keep up those slow-count kicks, too -- they are so good for your stamina and form. And good advice about doing the forms in your head. I'd been them for the first four weeks or so but have slacked off the last two weeks.

Bet you're SO glad to be moving on to the next stage.

Just 3 days and change!

(Don't forget to breathe.)