OK, here's the latest scoop.
Saw my PT over lunch today, she confirmed that my ROM is pretty damned good right now (130 degrees flexion, I think minus 2 extension? Not certain about the latter..) Monday I could tell the swelling was on the downside, and this confirms it. If not for the weird characteristic instability of the ACL-absent knee, I could almost imagine myself having only a sprain. Almost.
Speaking with my OD's assistant, I got recommendations on surgeons. Looked at their bios and went with my second choice, since the first choice isn't even doing consultations until mid-January; I'm NOT waiting that long to book a date for surgery!
I'm hoping for surgery early in January. I'd do it sooner, but have to hold off until 2008 for financial reasons.
I consult with the surgeon this Friday around lunchtime and with a bit of luck we'll come to an agreement about surgical options and scheduling.
In considering an Allograph (ligament harvested from a donor) I do have concerns due to the recent story of 4 organ donor recipients in the Chicago area contracting HIV and Hepatitis C. That, and in many studies it's been shown that an autograph using part of the patella ligament from the patient's own body tend to result in stronger knees, and shorter time spent on crutches compared to allographs.
So...when it comes down to it, I'll sacrifice a little extra discomfort from the harvest to reap the benefits sown by providing my own hardware for the fix.
On another front, my daughter has decided that she'll take on sparring. She really didn't want to do it right away, but I think she's more comfortable since she'd be starting with a fairly good sized group of her classmates at the karate school. Good for her.
Now if I can just scrape up $400 for the gear amidst Christmas shopping...
How Much Do I Remember?
6 months ago